Marketing & Communications Executive
The Kenton Theatre is a stunning Georgian venue which first opened in November 1805 and is one of the oldest working theatres in the UK. Seating 240, the theatre today offers a varied programme of music, drama, dance, talks, comedy and family work and is regularly hired by a number of community groups and private events. Boasting over 230 performances a year, with an annual income of c£500k.
Reporting to the Marketing Manager, we are seeking to appoint a proactive, self-starting part-time Marketing & Communications Executive with a passion for digital work. Applicants must have the ability to identify opportunities, market the theatre’s programme as well as the venue itself, and to be a custodian of the theatre’s brand, mission statement, values and vision.
Reporting to: Marketing Manager
Purpose of role
To support in the implementation of the marketing, publicity and audience development activity of The Kenton.
Main duties and responsibilities
Venue Marketing and strategic planning
- Supporting the Marketing Manager, create a range of targeted marketing and communications campaigns across all channels and audiences, managing budgets, and maximising engagement and visits to the theatre.
- Overseeing output of the theatre’s social media channels to grow engagement and drive sales – bearing in mind the Pareto Principle (20:80 ratio of sales to content rule).
- Working with suppliers, create, coordinate, disseminate and rotate all venue print and visual assets as required (such as poster displays, flyers, leaflets and brochures). Manage relationships with external agencies and freelance practitioners, including design agencies, printers managing projects to ensure delivery on time and to budget.
- Working with the Box Office team, monitor and update the theatre website where appropriate.
- Working with the marketing departments of visiting theatre companies, co-producers, artists, and other relevant stakeholders, support them with cost-effective and creative campaign strategies and deliver contractual marketing obligations.
- Supporting the Marketing Manager, agree and deliver promotional activity for the annual pantomime – the theatre’s most important flagship commercial opportunity – setting and achieving ambitious sales targets and increasing the number of local school bookings.
- Acting as a custodian for the theatre’s band guidelines and update the theatre’s house style guide and social media policy.
- Archiving all old photographic content, print artwork, establishing and managing a new suite of approved digital visual assets including logos, and commissioning new, beautiful images of the theatre to use in all promotional activity.
Fundraising and sponsorship
- Working with the Theatre Manager, Marketing Manager and Trustees on identifying fundraising priorities, and devising and implementing strategic campaign drives to raise revenue for specific projects.
- Taking a data-driven approach, work with the Theatre Manager to plan and implement an ongoing communications and development campaign that increases the number of Kenton Members and Friends.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Experience in using social media platforms (including Facebook Business Suite, Twitter, Instagram, Trip Advisor, YouTube and Google reviews)
- Experience in arts marketing and of creating, delivering and evaluating successful theatre marketing campaigns for a range of audiences
- Knowledge of using Spektrix or similar box office system to analyse sales and audiences
- Experience of working with WordPress or similar website content management
- Excellent organisational, scheduling and planning skills
- Excellent copy-writing and proofreading skills, with strong attention to detail
- Understanding of video editing and graphic design
- Experience of working in a multi-faceted arts and entertainment venue is desirable, and interest in the UK arts scene
- Experience of the Microsoft Office suite.
- Proven excellent communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with people at all levels, both internally and externally
- Excellent numeracy and literacy and organisational skills
- Ability to present and represent the theatre confidently in a commercial environment and with producers and visiting artists
- Positive team player and excellent communicator, with ability to work well with a wide range of stakeholders, internally and externally
- Proactive about own training and personal development
- Experience of membership/loyalty schemes/donor pathway development
- Experience of working with external partners and shared budgets for campaigns such as co-productions and theatre tours
- Up to date knowledge and understanding of SEO principles
- Experience of working with press and media
- Design and/or video editing skills
- Educated to university degree or Masters level. A diploma from a professional marketing body such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing or Arts Marketing Association is also desirable
- Evidence of any other related qualifications is desirable
Hours: 10 hours per week (shift based dependent on Kenton Theatre programme of events) but it is hoped that this role will expand as added value is demonstrated
Holiday: 20 days per annum plus bank holidays on a pro rata basis
Probation: Six months
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Based at the theatre with some opportunity for remote working
Please email a CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org ensuring that Marketing & Communications Executive is included in the subject line.
For further information please contact Lottie Pheasant, Theatre Manager at email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Friday 1 March 2024 at 5pm
In-person interviews to take place: week commencing: Monday 4 March 2024